Unlock a competitive advantage - align your website with the buyer journey

Susa Schmied
Marketing Services Manager
Only 3% of buyers are actually in buying mode. The other 97% are at some other step before that, which means that if you have a website that only ‘sells’ then you are going to miss the opportunity. Find out how to align your website with your buyer's journey, deliver meaningful engagement and unlock competitive advantage.

Every website plays a pivotal role in a buyer’s journey. As online searches are integral to both research and decision-making, it is essential for a website to efficiently deliver the information customers seek to inform their choices. However - and it is a massive ‘however’ - only 3% of buyers are actually in buying mode. The other 97% are at some other step before that, which means that if you have a website that only ‘sells’ then you are going to miss the opportunity to engage, progress and nurture the vast majority of your potential buyers.

It is always worth restating what the buyer journey is, especially about websites where it can be confused with the customer journey.

In short, the buyer journey is the steps the buyer takes as they progress from opportunities, challenges or problems that they could address in their ordinary world of business as usual, to signing on the dotted line and buying a product or service - although in reality, the buyer journey also progresses beyond the ‘buy’ moment to include onboarding, retention, up-sell, cross-sell and retention.

The important thing to note is that these are the steps the buyer is going to go through regardless of whether they are dealing with your business at any stage of their journey. That is what differentiates it from the customer journey which is all about the steps the buyer/customer is going to make with you as they, for example, are in the process of purchasing from you.

By building your marketing strategy around the buyer journey, and ensuring your website is fully able to support the buyer journey, your business will benefit from closer engagement and higher conversions.

Aligning web content with the buyer journey comes down to two things:

  1. Ensuring you have all the content available on the website that the buyer will need as they progress through their journey. This is done by mapping the steps of the buyer journey, the personas and their needs, and then determining the content that is required, noting that some content - e.g. thought leadership content and campaign content - will be produced over time.
  2. Designing the website to allow easy content progression within the buyer journey. Through smart UX and by providing the next best content links, you can make it easy for a buyer to progress through the content that will support their buying journey, whether in a single session or over time.

How this helps

  1. Enhances Customer Experience - aligning web content with the buyer journey creates a seamless and personalised experience, making it easier for potential buyers to navigate through their journey.
  2. Builds Trust and Credibility - when web content addresses the specific needs and concerns of buyers at each stage of their journey, it demonstrates a deep understanding of their problems and goals which builds trust and credibility.
  3. Improves Engagement and Retention - content tailored to each stage of the buyer journey keeps prospects engaged by providing relevant and useful information; engaged buyers are more likely to progress through the sales funnel and become loyal customers.
  4. Increases Conversion Rates - by providing the appropriate content at each stage, businesses can guide potential buyers more effectively towards making a purchase decision.
  5. Optimises Marketing and Sales Efforts - aligning web content with the buyer journey allows marketing and sales teams to work more efficiently. Marketing can create targeted campaigns that address specific stages, while sales teams can use tailored content to move leads through the funnel.
  6. Supports Data-Driven Decisions - when web content is aligned with the buyer journey, businesses can track how users interact with content at each stage. Analysing this data provides insights into what types of content are most effective, allowing businesses to refine their content strategy, improve user engagement, and drive better results over time.
  7. Differentiates from Competitors - many businesses may not fully align their content with the buyer journey, leading to generic or misaligned messaging.

In many respects, aligning the website with the buyer journey is a no-brainer. However, few businesses recognise the need and therefore those that do can create a competitive advantage. After all, aligning with the buyer journey is not about creating more buyers in the market, it is about increasing your chance of converting the 3% when they are ready to buy.

If you want help aligning your website with the buyer journey or you are looking to amplify your brand and connect your business, audience and channels,



Privacy is important to us, so you have the option of disabling certain types of storage that may not be necessary for the basic functioning of the website. Blocking categories may impact your experience on the website. More information

Accept All Cookies

These items are required to enable basic website functionality.

Always active

These items are used to deliver advertising that is more relevant to you and your interests.

These items allow the website to remember choices you make (such as your user name, language, or the region you are in) and provide enhanced, more personal features.

These items help the website operator understand how its website performs, how visitors interact with the site, and whether there may be technical issues.

Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.